(Toledo, Ohio, USA 1945. He lives and works in Rome, Italy,
and New York, USA) From 1955 to 1964 he studied at the Toledo Museum School of Design under the Belgian artist Line Bloom Draper and at the Cleveland Art Institute. In 1965, he moved to New York, where he attended the School of Visual Arts. He soon expressed his creative genius through his conceptual works, influenced by the philosophy of Ludwig Wittgenstein, exploring the idea that language possesses meaning only in relation to itself. His first exhibition took place at the Museum of Normal Art, of which he was a co-founder in 1967, and was followed by his first solo show at the Leo Castelli Gallery in New York. After becoming the editor of Art and Language, in the 1970s he started to study philosophy and anthropology. From 1970 to 1974, for a number of solo shows he created classroom environments in which participants were given documents to read, and presented with texts or diagrams on the walls. The role of language and its relation with art has been the main object of his research, as proven by the important installations and publications presented at the most famous international events. He has repeatedly taken part in Documenta and the Venice Biennale and has received prestigious awards. The Università di Bologna awarded him an Honorary Degree in Humanities in 2001.