Erwin Wurm was born in Bruck an der Mur, Austria, in 1954. He lives in his home country, dividing his time between Vienna and Limberg. His development is rooted in the more ironic conceptual art of Gilbert & George and Anna and Bernhard Blume. Since the 1980s, in addition to experimenting with such concepts traditionally linked to perception (empty/full, gain/lose weight, right/left), his idea of sculpture has also included performances that involve the spectator. In his work, he captures the reverse of things. He approaches sculpture unexpectedly and spontaneously; he explores the equilibrium between everyday objects and sculpture, subverting every rule and distorting the meaning of the quotidian. The same interest towards the concept of transformation and the relationship between form and content is seen in the “narrow house”, in which the artist humorously tackles such neuroses of contemporary society as bulimia and anorexia nervosa and the obsession with beauty and appearance. He has exhibited in major international shows, such as the Lyon Biennial (2000 and 2005), the Venice Biennale (2001), the MOMA in New York (2002), and the Seville Biennial (2004). His works are in the collections of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, the Walerk Art Center in Minneapolis, and the Centre Pompidou in Paris.