(Orel, Russia 1886 – Paris, France 1962) A Russian-born French painter and sculptor, the brother of the artist Naum Gabo, he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kiev (1908–1910) and in St. Petersburg (1911). In 1912, he saw in Paris cubist artworks and soon after he began to paint. In 1917, he and Gabo returned to Moscow, where Anton became a professor in the Fine Arts and Technical School, together with Malevich and Kandinsky. In 1920, he and Naum issued the Realist Manifesto of Constructivism. Pevsner settled in Paris in 1923: the two brothers were leaders of the constructivist members of Abstraction-Création, and in 1946 formed the group Réalités Nouvelles. Pioneers of kinetic art, they developed an innovative use of the blowtorch to weld copper rods onto sculptural forms, in the creation of a new marriage of art and mathematics. For his early sculptures, Pevsner used brass, copper, zinc, and celluloid; later he relied mainly on parallel arrays of bronze wire soldered together to form plates, which he joined to create intricate shapes. The Museum of Modern Art, New York, presented the exhibition Gabo-Pevsner in 1948 and a solo exhibition of his work in 1957. In 1958 he represented France at the Venice Biennale.